Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Fishing Report

Oh yeah, we went fishing last week.

On my birthday I went to what is simply known as the Railroad Pond. Basically it got it's name for the two-mile hike along railroads tracks you have to make each way to get to the place.

Out of the three of us we left with one jumbo (@19 inches) and three over 12 inches. We thought the jumbo was a triploid which are bred without sex organs. Upon cleaning the fish we were dismayed to find out it was just an older lake trout with eggs still inside her. I hate taking pregnant fish out of the water, but we had no idea before we cut her open.

I caught more trout than I can remember or even count, but nothing big.

On Saturday we headed out to Drano Lake and the Klickitat River over on the Gorge for our first try at salmon fishing since the fall run.

Aside from a few small trout, we came up empty. (And I came home itching.)

Drano Lake got emptied by the Indians and their massive netting program. We only spent a couple of hours on the river, but if we had gone there the whole day, I have no doubt we would have left with our limit. (The salmon were everywhere!)

We're too broke to go all the way out there again, and boy am I disappointed.

No comments: