Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Tooth Fairy

Robin and I are finally getting our mouths fixed. With the flexible spending account Robin set up, we have almost $1,000 sitting there doing nothing. If we don't spend it by the end of December we lose it. Since we have been pinching pennies for so long now it just kept adding up.

Until today. Robin is getting a couple fixed/pulled today. She still has a baby tooth for crying out loud. Can you believe that? A baby tooth.

I'll be getting some stuff done soon, too. It has been so long though, we'll have to wait until next year to get all the work done. Our insurance only covers so much in one year.

I'm appalled at the lack of services you get when you PAY for insurance. Healthcare costs so much money because of the price-gouging drug companies.

Anytime someone brings up the issue though Republicans start the "but look at all the good the companies do" routine.

Then the argument goes south. If only they let someone with backbone on these news channels.

What about the "but look at all the good they DON'T do" routine.

They make too much money NOT finding cures. AIDS, Cancer, the common cold. All would be gone if there were any money to be made in a cure. But there's an endless amount of money to be made by treating the symptoms instead.

The healthcare bubble is going to burst soon, but when? I look at my girls as I try to explain why mommy is going to the dentist today and I remember the what it was like when I was that age.

So much to look forward to. Is it fair to give them all this fantasy? The Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, God.

I'm a part of the perpetuation of these illusions now. I suppose it's part of the fun growing up, but I wonder why we have to lie to our children to have fun.

Then I realize it's all about making it easier on them now because after they grow up there won't be an imaginary bunny going around leaving candy to rot their teeth so the tooth fairy can leave them money. There won't be a jolly old man sneaking into your house and leaving toys and gifts or some invisible old man there to keep you safe from the boogey monster.

Then I think more about Santa Clause. Old white man living with a bunch of child-like creatures that make toys. Then he makes children sit on his lap to ask for toys. Sounds like a pedophile with a sweat shop to me.

Oh well, I better go see why the girls are being so quiet. I get nervous when I can't hear them tearing up their room.

No comments: