Saturday, October 15, 2005

Case Of The Mondays

After slaving Sunday to get the old place clean enough to show prospective renters, Robin and I were really exhausted today.

While we assumed that she would be heading to the office to start a report on a new drilling contract this morning, red tape kept her home until tomorrow.

Since I was a bit hungover this morning after drinking until the wee hours of the morning while I finished up with the stove, I appreciated the lazy day instead. Robin let me sleep until noon. When finally convinced myself to get out of bed I came downstairs to find that she had made breakfast burritos. REALLY FRIGGIN GOOD burritos, too.

The girls were pretty content to watch their new Cinderella DVD upstairs and Robin and I ordered a couple of PPVs.

First we watched Monster-In-Law with J-Lo and J-Fo, which was a typically generic J-Lo date movie. All her movies are the same. Wanda Sykes stole to movie out from the two though and was hillarious.

Then we watched the highly touted Crash. It's one of those movies Hollwood makes from time to time that has such an intriguing script that every actor in town wants in the movie and a ot of them make it in. Everyone from Sandra Bullock (a racist housewife) to Tony Danza (a racially biased TV producer) to Don Cheadle ( good detective) to Ludacris (car jacker) is in this movie.

Instead of tripping over itself trying to get the message accross, the plots are intertwined in a brilliantly subtle way. Robin hates these kind of movies, though she won't openly admit it, because there is no closure at the end. Well there is closure of sorts, but open ended closure. (It'll make sense after you watch it)

Which I think with a movie like this is the point of the whole thing anyway. Without giving too much away, everything comes together to make a circular view of these peoples' lives. Some things have an ending, or beginning.

It's such a real picture of America today. It's takes your perceptions about yourself and makes you think about how you really feel internally about other types of people.

I love movies like this, you know the ones that make you think. I don't mean to be Mr. Movie Critic today, but this one made me think.

I mean, I watched Kung-Fu Hustle yesterday and you didn't get an hour-long diatribe about Asian filmakers having too much time and money on their hands.

No comments: