Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Switching back to decaf

If you notice the timing of these posts you can tell that not only did I stay up all night finishing up the office, but I also am still going strong enough to get the blog updated.

Pinching pennies lately I have been forced to drink regular tea since decaf costs more than $2 more. Can you say INSOMNIAC?

Using this room for storage when we first moved in this place was a huge mistake. It took me a week to get through everything, but in the end I still ended up having to download the driver for the HP scanner/printer. (It took 3 hours with our dial-up)

I put a call in to find out what DSL would us with our telephone service monopoly... $80 a month. Insane.

I got to get down to the river yesterday for the first time in over a week. It was REALLY cold as I waded out to cast my bait among the dozen or so others trying to get a Chinook to smoke this weeekend. Of course, they all had waders. I had my trustee shorts and t-shirt combo.

I shivered for an hour with no nibbles or take-downs when I looked downriver to see a guy nail a 40 pounder from the comfort of his boat. I then proceeded to pack up and head to the car because my hands were numb. As luck would have it I had left a sweatshirt in the trunk. I thought about the possibility of actually catching a salmon with only 45 minutes of daylight left.

I head back down the water... 45 minutes of watching 20-40 pounders jump with glee over their impending deaths. You would figure the long trek inland having exhausted them would make them pissed off enough to take a bite of some herring or some roe instead of jumping two feet out of the water.

They're all going to die and I just want one. I need the roe for bait for the spring run. I need to catch my first Chinook after spending over 300 hours and countless amounts of money on bait, tackle, and gas. I just don't want to end the season empty handed. I'm not talking about filling out my punch card like a lot of those bastards on the river every day, I just want one.

Robin gave up three weeks ago and hasn't fished since. The last two have been dominated by cold and rain, which is supposed to make them more likely to start the big run inland. Well, there are more in the water now, but it's too cold to take the girls with me. Hence the last week with no fishing time.

After going everyday for several months, I have become physically unable to sit still during the day when I don't get to drop a line in the water. Even the girls are begging to get out to the river.

The morning news just announced highs near 72 today. That's a friggin heat wave I am not going to miss. I guess I better go get some more tea out of the fridge.

No comments: