Thursday, October 13, 2005

Looking back

Today Robin was told that she will be headed to the office for a couple of days after finishing the last of her field work. While we were in a particularly agitated mood knowing that she could be spending next week on the couch, we decided to try a Japanese place in Richland instead of heading straight home.

I can remember the smell of REAL Yakisoba and Yakitori from living in Okinawa. I'm a food person, I remember those things.

Since I have been going through all of our old boxes full of photos, I have been remembering a lot about the past lately.

As we opened the door to what seemed to be a typical Seattle-style hipster joint you find on every corner in Washington, I was immediately thrown back to Okinawa. The smell. I know that smell. That's a good smell. I'm surprised that I'm still standing in a place called Woo's Teriyaki.

I order a Tempura combo plate with calamari, prawns and veggies for everyone to share. Robin ordered some spicy chicken thing and I get some Yakisoba.

They bring us Miso Soup. MMMMMMMMMMM. I remember that taste.

When the waitress brings us our food, I can tell the good smell is getting stronger. When she sets my plate down, I know that Woo knows how to make a former military brat miss that damn rock I used to hate so much. REAL YAKISOBA.

Robin samples some of the girls' since her chicken dish that she insisted be the "hottest you got" is so damn hot she is tearing up. She is impressed. I can tell she never understood what I meant when I said, "Wait till I take you to Gate 2 Street. That's good food." She knows now. And she didn't have to take the long plane ride across the Pacific to get it.

It was the best meal I have eaten since, well, I can't remember the last time I was so completely blown away by a meal.

IT WAS SOOOO GOOD!

Robin even kept talking about it while we were watching Lost. After being so homesick over the last few weeks, it really hit the spot. It was like going home for Mom's cooking.

No comments: